...is a good thing. Went to San Antonio for the weekend and saw some useful things at workshops, and a couple friends from RGV who I hadn't seen in a long while. As a result I have an Amazon.com order in for Marzano's Learning Strategies, a book called Understanding by Design that hopefully is a great way to organize units, and Stephen Covey's 7 Habits (and I thought I'd never actually read that stuff...).
Also, got to see Jaime Escalante speak (he was the keynote), of the movie Stand and Deliver fame (he started a very successful AP Calculus program at a HS in East LA). He was a very nice man and he found every story amusing, which in itself was amusing and endearing. He did go on a bit long, and he tended to monotone a bit, but it was still awesome to see the guy, and apparently he did this just for TFA, so good on him.
For those of you who are already in the TFA cult, Aurora Lora (!!!) was the opening speaker. She was all right. She's reopening a closing, failing middle school in Portland, Oregon next year into an all-girls charter school. Should be interesting.
Thursday, January 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment